Seventy-One Percent of U.S. Adults With Food-Related New Year's Resolutions Say Keeping Food-Related Resolutions More Difficult in Restaurants than at Home; Applebee's Expands "Unbelievably Great Tasting and Under 550 Calories(TM)" Menu, Launches New SkinnyBee(TM) Cocktails
LENEXA, KS -- More than seven in ten Americans who plan to make food-related resolutions in 2011 agree that it is more difficult to keep their food-related resolutions when dining out than when eating at home, according to a recent survey conducted by Harris Interactive® on behalf of Applebee's Neighborhood Bar & Grill®. However, three in four say having a wide variety of lower-calorie meals to choose from when dining out would make it easier for them to keep those resolutions.
As the world's largest casual dining chain, Applebee's surveyed adults via Harris Interactive on their attitudes toward choices offered in restaurants and what they feel about New Year's food-related solutions.
Applebee's is expanding its selection of "Unbelievably Great Tasting and Under 550 Calories" menu to six items, adding Signature Sirloin with Garlic Herb Shrimp and a Teriyaki Pasta with Chicken or Shrimp to its line-up. Applebee's is also putting two new under-120 calorie SkinnyBee cocktails next to its already-popular SkinnyBee Margarita, adding a Mojito and Long Island Iced Tea to the mix.
"Our guests want more choices and they don't want to sacrifice flavor or portion size," said Mike Archer, president of Applebee's Services, Inc. "At Applebee's, we offer our guests choices of flavor-packed, full portion entrées under 550 calories and new lower calorie SkinnyBee cocktails. It's more of what they want for their resolutions or their dietary choices year-round."
Other findings among U.S. adults surveyed include:
- 60 percent plan to make food-related New Year's resolutions.
- Among these adults,
- 71 percent agree that it is more difficult to keep their food-related resolutions when dining out than when eating at home;
- 75 percent say that having a wide variety of lower-calorie meals to choose from when dining out would make it easier for them to keep those resolutions; and
- 41 percent resolve to lower their overall calorie intake.
- 69 percent will dine out at restaurants more often or equally as often in 2011 as they did in 2010.
- 76 percent say they would choose a lower-calorie item over a higher-calorie item if taste and portion size were comparable.
- 51 percent of surveyed U.S. adults aged 21+ agreed that they would prefer to drink lower calorie versions of alcoholic beverages like margaritas, mojitos and Long Island iced teas than their higher calorie counterparts.
Applebee's new "Unbelievably Great Tasting and Under 550 Calories" items include:
- Signature Sirloin with Garlic Herb Shrimp (Great Tasting, Under 550 Calories) -- Applebee's 7 oz. sirloin grilled and topped with succulent shrimp in a light cream sauce and served with herb potatoes, seasonal vegetables, fresh bruschetta, sliced almonds and chopped parsley
- Teriyaki Shrimp Pasta (Great Tasting, Under 550 Calories) -- Grilled seasoned shrimp, broccoli, red peppers, carrots, sugar snap peas, bok choy, water chestnuts and mushrooms top steaming whole wheat Asian noodles in a rich teriyaki sauce with cilantro.Teriyaki Chicken Pasta is also available.
Applebee's (www.applebees.com) is the world's largest casual dining chain, with approximately 2,000 locations in 49 states, 16 countries and one U.S. territory. Based in Lenexa, Kan., Applebee's takes pride in providing a welcoming, neighborhood environment where everyone can enjoy the dining experience. Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar® is a DineEquity, Inc. (NYSE:DIN) brand, and is franchised and operated by Applebee's Services, Inc. and its affiliates.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Applebee's from December 16-20, 2010 among 2,309 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Derek Farley with DFPR, 704-926-6580.
About Harris Interactive Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading custom market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers expertise in a wide range of industries including healthcare, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant, and consumer package goods. Serving clients in over 215 countries and territories through our North American, European, and Asian offices and a network of independent market research firms, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help it -- and its clients -- stay ahead of what's next. For more information, rel="noopener noreferrer" please visit www.harrisinteractive.com.
MEDIA CONTACT: DFPR Derek Farley: 704-941-7353 [email protected]